News and What's Happening
Last Minute Ideas for Getting Involved in National Volunteer Month
Posted on 04/28/2014
Happy National Volunteer Month! April might be coming to a close, but there’s still plenty of time to get involved with a worthy cause. Here are some ideas for making a big difference in 4 hours or less:
- Play a game! Some sites will donate to important causes when you play to learn languages or do crossword puzzles.
- Save lives by signing up to be an organ donor online.
- Change up your search engine. Some will donate to nonprofits every time you browse the web.
- Clean out your cupboards and donate extra clothes and non-perishable food.
- While you’re at it, hunt down your old cellphones and find somewhere to donate them.
- Lace up your sneakers. Download an app that donates to charities for every mile you walk, run, or bike and get fit for a cause.
- Volunteer to be a reader for children at your local library.
- Grab some friends, get out some gloves and garbage bags and head to the park to pick up trash.
- Save several lives by donating blood at the Red Cross.
- Visit a nursing home. The residents will be delighted to have company.
- Volunteer to help serve at a soup kitchen.
- Go to the animal shelter for a fun afternoon of playing with the cats and dogs.